Pages

Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Pagan Blog Project - Devotional Artwork

Being a Panenthiest at heart dedicating time to deity devotion is new to me. Previously what I would consider a showing of my devotion to the Universe were simple moments of recognising nature surrounding me. Feeling the Sun's heat on my skin, the breeze in my hair, the moonlight filtering gently in through my window. These moments keep me connected to the pure centre of my belief but Hekate requires more from me. After laying before her offerings of pomegranates, honey, flowers and herbs I decided that if I was going to make offering to a God that I should go large (A3 sized!) and devote my time and energy into one very large devotional artwork that would not only be in service to her but would also give me time to know Her more intimately.

I had a design in mind when I started but after a few disastrous attempts it wasn't coming together. I just wasnt feeling it. Usually creating artwork induces a meditative state within me and I had to let go of my ego (that wanted something very specific) and I allowed my hand to just flow over the paper. I relinquished all control over the piece and the result was something that is not only better than what I had originally planned for but a piece that it imbued with personal meaning and Divine inspiration.

I am not an artist by any means but I have placed a pic of my artwork here so others can see that you don't have to be of artist quality in order to devote artwork in your practice. Maybe you're good at pottery or excel at sculpture, knitting or sewing. I have learnt that the medium really doesn't matter as long as the creation and offering is heartfelt.

5 comments:

  1. While the post was rather short, I found it thought provoking and well written. Thank you very much for sharing that with the world.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post, you have pointed out some superb details, I will tell my friends that this is a very informative blog thanks.
    IT Company India

    ReplyDelete
  3. I apologize for the genericness of this comment, but with 15 blogs to visit... well... it was getting redundant. But... I've nominated you for the "The Versatile Blogger" award! Follow this link, or find me on my blog, to get all the details! I thank you for your wonderful contributions to the blogosphere! http://multifacetedexperience.blogspot.com/2012/03/my-very-first-blogger-award.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wonderful - you are so right about using art as a means of connecting with the divine. I have recently discovered this myself (I just wish I could devote more time to it).

    ReplyDelete